Friday, April 25, 2008

- Adverbial Clause

An adverbial clause is a dependent clause which functions as an adverb. It modifies the main clause. The subordinating conjunctions which are usually used in this clause are when, because, until, although, since, while, after, before, etc. Look at the examples below:




Examples (the underlined are adverbial clauses):
(a) When I was in Jakarta, I saw several plays.
(b) I saw several plays when I was in Jakarta.
(c) Because he was sleepy, he went to bed.
(d) He went to bed because he was sleepy.
(e) I came to the meeting although I was busy.
(f) I go to campus after I have breakfast.
(g) I take a bath before I have breakfast.

Exercises:
Combine the sentences, using the second sentence as an adverb clause. Use the
appropriate subordinating conjunction.

01. She took a bath. She went to campus.
02. She did not come to the meeting. He was sick.
03. The teacher was explaining the English clauses. Someone knocked at the door.
04. She has known him. He was a child.

No comments: