Saturday, March 29, 2008

- Online English Courses: - Adjective Clause using "who" and "whom"

Adjective clause is a clause (a construction containing S V)which functions as an adjctive. This clause modifies a noun preceeding it. When the noun is human as subject, the subordinative conjunction used is who while whom is used with the noun which is human as an object. To know the different use of who and whom as relative pronouns of adjective clause, look at the examples below:



1. The man is my father.
He (the man) teaches English.
--> The man who teaches English is my father.

2. The man is my father.
You met him (the man) yesterday.
--> The man whom you met yesterday is my father.

3. I meet the man.
He works in a bank.
-->I meet the man who works in a bank.

4. I meet the man.
Sally loves him (the man).
--> I meet the man whom Sally loves.

No comments: