Monday, March 31, 2008

- Online English Courses: - Adjective clause using "which"

The relative pronoun which is used to combine adjective clause with the noun which is not human (thing). To know the use of which as the relative pronouns of adjective clause, look at the examples below:

1. The book is very good.
It (the book) is on the table.
--> The book which is on the table is very good.

2. The car was very expensive.
I bought it (the car) yesterday.
--> The car which I bought yesterday was expensive.



The relative pronoun which can be replaced by that. Therefore, the examples above can be shown as follows:

1. The book is very good.
It (the book) is on the table.
--> The book which is on the table is very good.
--> The book that is on the table is very good.

2. The car was very expensive.
I bought it (the car) yesterday.
--> The car which I bought yesterday was expensive.
---> The car that I bought yesterday was expensive.

No comments: