Friday, July 25, 2008

- Conditional Sentence Type 3



Conditional sentence type 3 is used to express the situation or something which is not true with or the opposite of the real fact in the past. In this sentence, the past perfect tense is used in the " if clause" and the past future perfect is used in the main clause. The pattern is as follows:



If + S + V (Past Perfect/had + VIII)..... , S + would + have + VIII....

Examples:

1. If I had had enough money at that time, I would have bought the car.
.....(In truth, I didn't have enough money)

or

-- I would have bought the car if I had had enough money at that time.



2. If She had been here yesterday, She would have known your condition.
.....(In truth, She was not here yesterday)

or

-- She would have known your condition if she had been here yesterday.

No comments: